Forbes Media announced today new participants for the first-ever Under 30 Summit, which will bring together more than 1,000 young entrepreneurs and game changers from around the world.
Speakers will include:
• Nobel Peace Prize finalist Malala Yousafzai, the 17-year-old activist who was shot by Taliban militants afraid of her campaign for girls’ education. Her new charity, the Malala Fund, aims at fighting for girls’ education all over the world. She will discuss how she’s turning adversity into a global movement.
• While in her twenties, Monica Lewinsky had her reputation instantaneously destroyed via the Internet. In the age of Twitter, YouTube and TMZ, that’s now a daily occurrence. She will discuss the culture of digital destruction and harassment.
• Founder of Oculus VR, Palmer Luckey. At 21, he sold his company, which makes virtual reality headsets, to Facebook for a reported $2 billion. He will be discussing his unconventional path to success—and preview Oculus’ coming reality for virtual reality.
• On Sunday, October 19, the Summit kicks off with the Under 30 Music Festival, produced in partnership with Global Citizen and AEG Live. Questlove will serve as the musical curator for the event, which will take place at the Piazza at Schmidt’s, and marry the best young acts in America with well-known musical mentors. He will also serve as a judge the Food Festival (see below) and DJ the Summit’s afterparty.
• On Tuesday, October 21 (the Summit’s final night), 10 of the country’s best young chefs, including Jesse Schenker, Sam Gorenstein, Joseph “JJ” Johnson and Natasha Case, will headline the Under 30 Food Festival.
These additions join a speaking roster that includes Lauren Bush Lauren, CEO, Creative Director and Cofounder of FEED; Pete Cashmore, Founder and CEO of Mashable; Neil Blumenthal, Cofounder of Warby Parker; and Josh Kushner, Managing Partner of Thrive Capital. Notable mentors, who will provide advice to budding entrepreneurs, include Jim Breyer, Partner at Accel Partners and a key early backer of Facebook; Steve Case, Founder of AOL; Jean Case, CEO of the Case Foundation; Josh Harris, Cofounder of Apollo Global Management; and Danny Meyer, CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group.
The Under 30 Summit, which will take place October 19-22, 2014, at the Pennsylvania Convention Center and other venues across Philadelphia, will feature a full agenda of panels, TED-style presentations and Shark Tank-style pitch contests.
Forbes’ Under 30 Summit is an extension of Forbes magazine’s annual “30 Under 30” list – which features 30 game-changing entrepreneurs under 30, in 15 fields, as judged by some of the greatest minds in each category. Attendees of the summit will be culled from the past three years of this list, which has become one of the magazine’s most popular franchises. The third annual “30 Under 30” list generated more than 8 million page views online in just the first week of its publication in January 2014.
For more details on the Under 30 Summit, please visit www.forbesunder30.com. On Twitter, follow @ForbesUnder30 and #Under30Summit and #GoingtoPhilly. To access Forbes magazine’s 2014 “30 Under 30” list, click here.