October 13 saw professional athletes and celebrity guests teamed up in a special soccer match to benefit PUMA’s Project Pink initiative – the brand’s breast cancer awareness and fundraising initiative, rooted in women’s soccer, which aims to empower young women to take action and effect change.
The match put celebs including Jessica Stroup (90210), Matt Lanter (90210), Aimee Teegarden (Friday Night Lights), Josh Bowman (Revenge), Johnny Westin (Chasing Mavericks), Barry Sloan (Revenge), Connor Poalo (Revenge), Charlie Bewley (Twilight) and Peter Dante (Jack and Jill) and athletes like professional soccer player and 2012 US Olympic gold medalist Amy Rodriguez, former MLS player and Defender for the US National Team, Alexi Lalas, US Olympic gold medalist and two-time world champion, Julie Foudy, professional soccer player and New England Revolution Goalkeeper, Matt Reis, who served as a coach, 2012 Olympic bronze medalist and Canadian Women’s National Team Goalkeeper, Karina LeBlanc, Former MLS player and four-time FIFA World Cup participant, Kasey Keller and more, on the field to lent their support.
100% of profits from the sale of tickets went to the winning charity of this year’s Project Pink – The Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation. In addition to money raised through ticket sales, a check for $100,000 from previous Project Pink programming was issued to the charity at the game.
Some fun moments from the game:
- After Jessica Stroup, who played on the Pink team, was subbed out for the first time during the game, she told the commentator that this was her first time playing soccer! She was learning a lot and while she may never play a game again, she looked forward to playing for fun with 90210 cast mate, Matt Lanter, who was on the opposing White Team.
- Charlie Bewley assisted on the 2nd goal in the game, Josh Bowman scored the 4th goal of the game.
- Johnny Westin was interviewed during the game and said “These chicks are killing it!” about the female professional athletes playing in the game.
- At one point in the game, Matt Lanter – who wore jersey number 90210, tried to slide tackle another player but was unsuccessful. Jessica Stroup, who was covering him, helped him up.
- Josh Bowman and Connor Paolo sat on the sideline together sharing notes about the game and about their show, Revenge.
- Aimee Teegarden participated in the half-time relay race which partnered her with a young soccer player and required the pair to race across the field, putting on pieces of a Project Pink uniform as they went.
- The game was finished with a round of penalty kicks. Jessica Stroup and Charlie Bewley missed their shots but Aimee Teegarden scored.
- All of the players were good sports and signed soccer balls, posters that game attendees had made, jerseys and more.