By on

English cricket legend Sir Ian Botham is planning his 12th long distance charity walk to raise money for research into leukaemia – and this time, members of the public are invited to walk with him.

This year’s walk will be taking place for 9 days between October 10 and 18 and will visit 9 towns throughout the UK. As with Sir Ian’s previous walks, sponsorship money and donations will go to Leukaemia Research, a British charity dedicated to blood disorders in children. Childhood leukaemia is the single largest cancer-killer in children and Leukaemia Research needs over £100 million (US$200 million) to commit to new research in the next five years.

“When I started my first walk back in 1985, children diagnosed with leukaemia had just a 20% chance of survival,” said the 52-year-old former cricket captain. “Today it is an 80% chance. I won’t stop walking until there is a cure but I need your help.”

A special section of each town the walk travels through will be set aside for people to join Sir Ian in his ramble. The walk is open to everyone but if you are under 16 you will need to be accompanied by an adult, and organizers are encouraging each person to raise a minimum of £250 in sponsorship. People interested in joining the walk should register on Sir Ian’s website, and walkers will have the chance to hand their sponsorship money directly to Sir Ian before they begin their leg of the journey.

“Every penny counts,” said Sir Ian. “We can beat childhood leukaemia if we work together to raise as much money as possible.”

comments powered by Disqus

Latest news

Camp Southern Ground Hosts Third Annual Evening To Remember Benefit Featuring Zac Brown Band

Camp Southern Ground Hosts Third Annual Evening To Remember Benefit Featuring Zac Brown Band Dec 10, 2018

On Friday, November 30th Camp Southern Ground, the non-profit passion project of multiplatinum GRAMMY Award-winning artist Zac Brown, held its third annual Evening To Remember benefit to support the continued growth of the campus and programming. More
More news