Cuba Gooding Jr. may be best known for his roles as a high-energy football player, dedicated lawyer, or honor-bound solider. Off-camera the beloved actor and father of three is stepping into a new role: advocate and activist.
The Academy Award winning actor is partnering with NephCure Kidney International to raise awareness about kidney disease.
“Kidney disease is the ninth leading cause of death in the United States, but is one of the most underfunded in research. FSGS (Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis) and Nephrotic Syndrome are some of the most devastating kidney diseases affecting children and adults. NephCure is the only organization in the world focused on raising money for research to get better treatments and a cure for these diseases. When I learned about these conditions I knew I had to do something. I’m proud to partner with NephCure to help them raise awareness,” Mr. Gooding said.
Kidney Disease Statistics
• Chronic kidney disease plagues more than 26 million Americans
• Nephrotic Syndrome is the leading cause of kidney failure in children
• Every day 12 people die waiting for a kidney transplant
• There is no cure for these conditions, and currently no standard of care.
• Treatments can include high-dose steroids and chemotherapy-type medicines.
• Even with these treatments, many patients progress to kidney failure within 5 years.
• African Americans are at a higher risk for kidney disease and are FIVE TIMES more likely to get FSGS than other populations.
“Numbers are important to underscore the urgency, but this is about more than numbers – it’s about people battling to keep themselves, their spouses, their children alive. We need better treatments now for patients who are suffering every day,” Mr. Gooding said. “The government gives very little money to kidney disease research, and we need to change how research is funded. That’s why we need to support organizations like NephCure who lead the way as a catalyst for accelerating kidney disease research.”
Mr. Gooding will join NephCure at their Annual Fundraising Gala at New York’s Chelsea Piers on December 4. A select number of tickets are available for purchase until December 2. Can’t come to the event? You can still join the cause and support NephCure in their quest to end debilitating forms of kidney disease, FSGS and Nephrotic Syndrome. Simply text the word “CURE” along with your donation to 50155, or click here to pledge your support today.
Source: PR Newswire