Backstage at the Geffen, the annual fundraiser that shares “backstage” stories of the theater with an invitation-only audience, has launched an online, open-to-the-public silent auction that takes bidders even deeper into the life of a Hollywood insider.
Travel adventures, customized culinary experiences and behind-the-scenes access let successful bidders live like a star, whether they’re watching the Clippers from a luxury suite at Staples Center, donning rare diamonds or pitching a top Hollywood agent.
The May 22 event at the Geffen Playhouse marks the Westwood theater’s 20th anniversary and will gather stage and screen superstars to share “backstage” songs, stories and laughter about the struggles and surprises that memorably shaped their lives and careers. This year’s event will honor Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman and social entrepreneur Jeff Skoll. David Geffen will serve as 20th Anniversary Honorary Chair.
Proceeds from the 14th annual Backstage at the Geffen online auction support the not-for-profit theater’s educational and artistic missions, such as presentations of new works, the playwright commission program and the theater’s award-winning education and outreach initiatives, which annually bring illuminating live theater to more than 15,000 disadvantaged youth, seniors, veterans and community members.
The auction includes priceless insider access, and goods and services from dozens of luxury brands, including:
• The Ultimate Simpsons experience. You and a guest will witness a live table reading of The Simpsons and receive an official production script personally signed to you by the cast. Value, Priceless.
• Four VIP tickets to a live taping of Conan and a meet and greet with the star himself. Value, Priceless.
• Luxury Audi Sportscar Experience and Wine Country Getaway, Value, $6,500.
• Two tickets to a taping of The Voice. Value, Priceless.
• Seven-night, super-luxury golf trip to New Zealand’s Kinloch Club. Value, $20,300.
• Lunch with Creative Artist Agency super-agent Fred Specktor. Value, Priceless.
• Private Staples Center Luxury Suite for Clippers. Value, $3,000.
• Four nights in an overwater bungalow at the Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort Spa. Value, $4,900.
• Meet and Greet with Mona Golabek and The Children of Willesden Lane package. Value, Priceless.
• V.I.P. Private Dinner Party and Show at the Geffen Playhouse. Value, $6,000.
• A Beach Vacation in an Ocean-view Suite at Belmond La Samanna, St. Martin. Value, $8,000.
• Selection of Artworks by Nelson De La Nuez. Value, $5,000 – $15,000.
• Diamond earrings by Todd Reed. Value, $6,380.
The online auction, at www.geffenplayhouse.org/silentauction, opened to the public on April 25th and will close May 21st at 6:00 p.m. PT.
Geffen Playhouse has been a hub of the Los Angeles theater scene since opening its doors in 1995. Noted for its intimacy and celebrated for its world-renowned mix of classic and contemporary plays, provocative new works and second productions, the not-for-profit organization continues to present a body of work that has garnered national recognition. Named in honor of entertainment mogul and philanthropist David Geffen, who made the initial donation to the theater, the company was founded by Gilbert Cates, and is currently helmed by Artistic Director Randall Arney, Executive Director Gil Cates, Jr., and Co-Chairs of the Board Martha Henderson and Pamela Robinson. Proudly associated with UCLA, the Geffen welcomes an audience of more than 130,000 each year, and maintains extensive education and community engagement programs, designed to involve underserved young people and the community at large in the arts.