The 13th Annual Moving Families Forward Gala: We Are Family, benefiting the vital programs and ongoing services for children and families at the Ackerman Institute for the Family, took place on Monday, October 21st, at the InterContinental New York Barclay in New York City.
This year’s gala was hosted for the first time by Abby Phillip, CNN White House Correspondent, and featured a special presentation by LaChanze, Tony, SAG, and Emmy winning actress. Judy Gold, actor and comedian, served as auctioneer for the event.
The 2019 Moving Families Forward: We Are Family gala honored:
● Christina Ackermann, Executive Vice President, General Counsel of Bausch Health, with the Ackerman Courageous Leadership Award, presented by Joseph C. Papa, Chairman of the Board & CEO, Bausch Health.
● Ashley De La Rosa, currently starring on Broadway as Janelle Woods in Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, with the Ackerman Diversity & Inclusion Award, presented by Nicole Poteat, Vice President at Bank of America Private Bank, and Board and Gala Committee member.
● Tamsen Fadal, 12-time Emmy-winning journalist for PIX11 News, executive producer and host of Broadway Profiles for The Broadway Channel, with the Ackerman Family Advocate Award, presented by LaChanze.
● Maria Hinojosa, Founder & President of Futuro Media Group, Anchor and Executive Producer of Latino USA, with the Ackerman Humanitarian Award, presented by Gisselle Acevedo, President and CEO Ackerman Institute for the Family.
● Kate Snow, anchor of NBC Nightly News Sunday, award-winning Senior National Correspondent for NBC News, and contributing reporter for Nightly News with Lester Holt, TODAY, and Dateline NBC, with the Ackerman Champion of Hope Award, presented by Ira Sallen, COO BMG and Board Vice-Chair, Ackerman Institute for the Family.
● Ackerman’s Social Work and Diversity Program, the 27-year old initiative that diversifies the family therapy field, was honored with the Legacy Honor, presented by Kiran Arora, Vice President of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Ackerman Institute for the Family.
Corporate sponsors of the Gala included: Bausch Health, Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP, Delta Air Lines, Farmers Insurance, Finnegan Henderson Farabow Garrett & Dunner, Norton Rose Fulbright, McDermott Will & Emery, and Simpson Thacher & Bartlett.
The 2019 Moving Families Forward Gala: We are Family Co-Chairs were: Leslie Roberts and Deborah Werner. Jeannette Monninger was the Honorary Chair. The Gala Planning Committee was: Gisselle Acevedo, Martha Fling, Victoria R. Kahn, Gisella Lemos, Nicole Poteat, and Janine Weisenbeck.
VIPs in attendance included: Mike Love, singer, songwriter, co-founder of the Beach Boys, Kori Chambers, PIX 11 News Anchor; Bart Feder, General Manager, PIX 11; Ira Bernstein, Co-President, Debmar Mercury. Among the VIPs were several members of the Ackerman Board of Directors: Gisselle Acevedo, Jeannie Ackerman Curhan, Linda Dishy, Alfred Feliu (Secretary), Martha Fling (Board Chair), Thomas G. Kahn, Dayan Kazi, Arthur Maslow, Jeanette Monninger, Imke Oster, Nicole Poteat, Leslie Roberts, Gregory T. Rogers, Bob Ruckh (Treasurer), Ira Sallen (Vice Chair), Sheri Sandler, Stephen Sokoloff, Arnold Syrop, Janine Weisenbeck, Deborah Werner, Doris Kempner (Emeritus Board), Paula Oppenheim (Emeritus Board), and Lois Braverman (Emeritus President).