On June 4, Brianna Adkins was home with her two sisters and their nanny when a faulty power strip caused their Brentwood home to catch fire. Everyone fled to safety—and that’s when Brianna realized that the family’s two young dogs were still inside. Accompanied by a neighbor who realized that Brianna couldn’t be deterred, the 9-year-old immediately headed back into the house to retrieve the dogs. The pair successfully retrieved the puppies from the burning home, and for her brave actions, Brianna will receive PETA’s Compassionate Action Award.
“Thanks to the heroic actions of Brianna Adkins, her family’s beloved dogs survived the fire and are alive and well,” says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. “Her heroism is a compelling reminder that all members of the family—including dogs, cats, and other animals—deserve help in an emergency.”
PETA encourages all animal guardians to make plans now for future emergencies—including house fires and natural disasters—and never to leave animals behind to fend for themselves.
Brianna will receive a framed certificate and delicious vegan chocolates.