By Steve Purcell on
Celebrities from the worlds of sports, entertainment and public service will offer unique personal experiences or memorabilia in an auction to benefit Realizing the Dream, Inc., the charity overseen by Martin Luther King III, eldest son of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and co-founded by former United Nations Ambassador Andrew Young.
A total of 100 “Dreams” will be auctioned in waves, with the first 10 lots going under the hammer on December 21st. Additional Dreams will be added to the roster each Friday.
The first ten Dreams on offer are the following:
- A private tour of the Yogi Berra Museum conducted by Yogi himself
- Lunch with Walter Cronkite in New York
- Join George Clooney at “Ocean’s 13” Movie Premiere and Private After Party
- A private set tour with Michael and Mira Sorvino of their upcoming movie “The Trouble With Cali.” Also meet their father Paul Sorvino who directs and produces the film and their sister Amanda Sorvino, the screenwriter.
- Jonathan Vilma will make a winning bidder his guest at a NY Jets Game and the recipient of his game jersey.
- An opportunity to ring the Opening Bell at the New York Mercantile Exchange
- NY Knicks-Luxury Suite, including 12 seats, for a Knicks game this 2006-2007 Season. This package includes food & drinks with TV commentators & player visits to the Luxury Suite.
- NY Rangers-Luxury Suite, including 12 seats, for an Exciting Ranger Game this 2006-2007 season. This package includes food & drinks with TV commentators & player visits to the Luxury Suite.
- Meet and Greet with New York Met David Wright on the field
- Lunch with former UN Ambassador and Dr. King colleague Andrew Young
Realizing the Dream, Inc., with headquarters in Atlanta Georgia, is a non-profit organization dedicated to making Dr. King’s dream a reality for all. Realizing the Dream seeks to continue the legacy and work of Dr. and Mrs. King in wiping out poverty and injustice through programs that foster peace and nonviolent social change, empower poverty-stricken communities, and develop strong leaders among the nation’s youth. Monies raised from the auction will be used directly to carry out these programs.
“I am truly overwhelmed by the enormous response from celebrities all over the country,” said Mr. King. “With their help, the torch for justice, equality and community that my parents once held is uplifted. More important, their generous commitments in support of my quest to continue the work toward the elimination of poverty and suffering are a testament to my father’s belief in the Beloved Community.”
Copyright © 2006 Look to the Stars