By Tim Saunders on
Did you know there are over 88 million electric clothes dryers in the US? Did you know each of these uses 6% of the total electricity usage per household, second only to the refrigerator? And did you know a group of celebrities are trying to educate Americans about the environmental benefits of drying clothes on a clothes line?
Rachel Bilson is at the forefront of the campaign, and is joined by stars such as Olivia Newton-John, and Dannii Minogue in trying to get people back to basics to get their clothes dry. And they are full of reasons why nature beats electricity every time:
- Clothes typically last longer without the duress of a machine dryer.
- Exposure to sunlight is the best natural bleach for your clothes. Worried about fading clothes, simply hang them inside out.
- The sun’s ultraviolet rays are an antiseptic and kill bacteria.
- Line Drying is perfect for things that can’t go in the dyer – rubber-backed throw rugs, car mats, extra large blankets.
- Line Drying inside on a retractable or folding clothesline is a great humidifier for your plants, skin and hair.
- Line Drying is good for your health. Not only is it great exercise, if you are line drying outside you get some fresh air, and the little bit of sunlight that you need everyday.
“There is nothing that I love more than to take time to clear my head and hang the washing out on the line on a beautiful day – it makes your clothes and linens smell so good and it is very eco-friendly,” said Olivia Newton-John. “Our planet is our responsibility to take care of and line drying is one way in which we can all do our part to help the environment.”
More information on the campaign can be found at their website.
Copyright © 2008 Look to the Stars