Global charity auction site Charitybuzz.com has launched “School Day,” an auction featuring once-in-a-lifetime experiences, with the proceeds benefiting Communities in Schools of Los Angeles (CISLA).
The auction brings together such entertainment and business icons as Academy Award-winning actress Reese Witherspoon, Academy Award-winning filmmaker Ron Howard, actor Matthew McConaughey, Oscar-winner Morgan Freeman, and business magnate Warren Buffett, among many others in support of CISLA’s programs empowering students to stay in school.
Bidding kicked off at www.Charitybuzz.com/SchoolDay on Thursday, July 25 at 9 AM PST and runs through Tuesday, August 13. The campaign is designed to culminate with the experiences being redeemed on or around September 20, 2013, “School Day.”
One hundred percent of net proceeds from the auction will benefit Communities In Schools of Los Angeles (CISLA), which serves over 16,000 students each year at 12 of the highest-need traditional public middle and high schools. CISLA, whose mission is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life, is addressing the Los Angeles dropout crisis by modifying the fundamental way in which student supports are delivered to schools and families in the city.
The “School Day” campaign was created in partnership with Creative Artists Agency (CAA), the world’s leading entertainment and sports agency, and its philanthropic arm, the CAA Foundation, long-time supporters of children’s education.
“CAA’s ongoing support has been critical to our rapid growth and success,” says Deborah Marcus, Executive Director of Communities In Schools of Los Angeles. “They set the bar very high for how corporate entities can leverage their power and influence in the community to support underserved populations. The School Day campaign will enable us to sustain our current level of programming and help to take our work to scale.”
Highlights of more than 75 opportunities up for auction include:
• Lunches with: Oscar winner Reese Witherspoon; Sony Pictures Entertainment’s Amy Pascal; DreamWorks’ Stacey Snider; Disney’s Bob Iger, and more
• Meet Ron Howard on the set of his upcoming film In the Heart of the Sea, in London
• Meet Matthew McConaughey on the set of Interstellar in Los Angeles
• Play a round of golf with Morgan Freeman or Joe Pesci
• Fly from anywhere in the U.S. to spend a day with Geoffrey Rush on the set of Pirates of the Caribbean 5
• Walk the red carpet with Helen Mirren & Taylor Hackford at an upcoming premiere
• Meet Vince Vaughn and Director Ken Scott during a set visit to Business Trip
• Meet Danny DeVito after enjoying a preview performance of The Sunshine Boys in Los Angeles
• Lunch with Jenji Cohan or visit the set of Orange is the New Black
• Tour a See’s Candy factory with renowned investor and philanthropist Warren Buffett
• Lunch with Whole Foods’ CEO John Mackey at the Whole Foods headquarters in Austin
• Lunch with Twitter Co-Founder Biz Stone in San Francisco
• A personalized social media training session with entrepreneur Gary Vaynerchuk
Online charity auction leader Charitybuzz has worked with CISLA since 2010 to raise more than $300,000 in funds for the organization’s Los Angeles programs. The School Day auction marks a bold step in its partnership with CISLA to help foster positive social change.
“CAA and Charitybuzz are united in the belief that pop culture is a powerful way to inspire greater philanthropy and make a real difference for the world’s most pressing causes,” said Coppy Holzman, CEO and Founder of Charitybuzz. “The School Day auction is aligned with our vision to create a better world by giving fans and philanthropists the chance to do good and live well. We’re proud to help CAA support CISLA’s incredible programs investing in the education and future of Los Angeles’ most at-risk children.”