Wounded servicemen and women competed in front of Prince Harry last week to mark the beginning of a selection process for his Paralympic-style championships.

Prince Harry meets wounded service personnel competing for a place in the Invictus Games
Prince Harry meets wounded service personnel competing for a place in the Invictus Games
Credit/Copyright:

The Prince met more than 25 potential competitors who are hoping to take part in the wheelchair rugby, cycling and indoor rowing events at the Invictus Games.

A team of 100 serving and veteran personnel will be selected to form the British Armed Forces team in the Games at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in East London in September.

The selection process, run by Help for Heroes and the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and due to last for four months, began this morning at Tedworth House in Tidworth, Wiltshire.

Prince Harry, who wore a black fleece emblazoned with the Games logo, said he hoped the challenge would help injured personnel in the recovery process.

“I have seen how powerful sport is as a means of rebuilding confidence as well as aiding with physical rehabilitation,” The Prince said. "These men and women are fighters by nature.

“The intense physical training and competitive spirit that will be forged inside this team as they prepare to represent their country in the Invictus Games will, I hope, go some way to helping the recovery not only of those who hope to be selected here today, but also inspire others along the way.”

Help For Heroes and the MoD received around 200 applications from men and women hoping to take part in the Games.

More than 300 participants from 13 nations will compete in the international sporting event, from 10th to 14th September this year.

The Invictus Games are being organised with the support of The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry as well as the MoD.

Source: www.princehenryofwales.org

comments powered by Disqus

Latest news

Paris Jackson, Charlize Theron and Dame Shirley Bassey to Participate in 25th Anniversary Life Ball

Paris Jackson, Charlize Theron and Dame Shirley Bassey to Participate in 25th Anniversary Life Ball Apr 23, 2018

Right on time before the launch of the ticket sales on Tuesday April 24, 2018, the Life Ball organization office announced the first prominent congratulators for the 25th Life Ball: Paris Jackson, Charlize Theron, and Dame Shirley Bassey are the first confirmed big names for June 2, 2018 at Vienna City Hall. More
More news