On Saturday, July 21st, the stars came out in support of DesignCare 2007, an annual fundraiser from The HollyRod Foundation to benefit adults and children battling debilitating disease and life circumstances.
Actress Holly Robinson-Peete and her husband, retired NFL quarterback and Best Damn Sports Show Period co-host Rodney Peete celebrated the 9th year of this popular fundraiser, hosting a star-studded couture fashion show, an electrifying musical performance, and both live and silent auctions at a beautiful private residence in Malibu.
The night was a huge success for the HollyRod Foundation, raising more than $350,000 with the help of comedians and live auctioneers, Chris Tucker & Cedric the Entertainer. Holly, Rodney, and celebrity supporters such as Academy Award winner Forest Whitaker, Eddie Murphy, Jim Carrey, Jenny McCarthy, Angie Harmon, Jason Seahorn, Sanaa Lathan, Quincy Jones, Amy Yasbeck, Blair Underwood and Gayle King were among those who enjoyed the breathtaking designs of Naeem Khan and danced to the funky sounds of Morris Day & The Time.
Cedric the Entertainer provided hilarious commentary for the live auction, where one special guest came away as a proud owner of the new Smart Car, which is not yet available in the U.S. and currently has a huge waiting list. Special honors were also handed out, as Maurice White, of the iconic, Grammy Award-winning music group Earth, Wind & Fire, received the Matthew T. Robinson, Jr. Award of Courage for the inspiration he provides to others as he valiantly battles Parkinson’s. The award is named after Holly’s father, Matthew T. Robinson Jr., who battled Parkinson’s Disease for over 20 years before succumbing in 2002, and inspired the formation of the HollyRod Foundation. Future NFL Hall of Fame inductee Jerome Bettis and television producers Yvette and Kyle Bowser also received awards in recognition of their commitment to providing invaluable aid to underserved individuals and groups.
“We are overjoyed by the show of support DesignCare received this year,” says Holly Robinson Peete of the exhilarating night, which included a check presentation from Anheuser-Busch, who pledged $200,000 in support of the HollyRod Foundation over the next two years. Since establishing the HollyRod Foundation in 1997 with Rodney, the annual DesignCare (formerly DesignCure) and Gridiron Glamour events have kept growing, drawing hundreds of supporters and raising millions to enhance the quality of life for adults and children all over the world facing devastating life circumstances.
The foundation recently expanded its mission to address more children’s issues, creating HollyRod4Kids. This organization is the brainchild of the Peete children, twins Ryan and RJ (9), Robinson (4) and Roman (2), and seeks to improve the lives of children living along the Gulf Coast who were affected by Hurricane Katrina and children in sub-Saharan Africa whose communities have been ravaged by civil war, famine and the HIV/AIDS pandemic.
- Chris Tucker taking the mic from Cedric the Entertainer and donating $100,000 to the HollyRod Foundation. Tucker then put fellow actor/comedian Eddie Murphy on the spot by asking him to match his donation. Eddie complies.
- Jim Carrey bidding $30,000 and winning a private dinner at the home of Holly Robinson Peete & Rodney Peete hosted by fellow comedians Chris Tucker, Cedric the Entertainer, Sinbad and Chris Rock.
- The fashions of Naeem Khan were such a hit that actress Angie Harmon matched the winning bid of $10,000 to take home a one-of-a-kind Naeem Khan design for herself.
- Eddie Murphy and current love, Tracey Edmonds, skipping the red carpet and arriving just in time for the show.
- The legendary Quincy Jones showing love and gratitude to Maurice White, the famous lead singer and founder of Earth, Wind & Fire who’s been struggling with Parkinson’s disease since the late 1990’s.