Jennifer Hudson has helped launch an exciting new charity initiative to raise money for the hungry.
For the past two years, Weight Watchers members have shown that they can improve their health while helping those in need. Today, the company announced the launch of the third annual Lose For Good campaign, an initiative that fights hunger both locally and globally by increasing awareness of this important issue and helping to provide access to healthy food for those in need. Between September 5th and October 23rd, as Weight Watchers members and Online subscribers lose weight and participate in other activities, the company will donate up to $1 million to two leading hunger fighting organizations – Share Our Strength and Action Against Hunger. Through Lose For Good, Weight Watchers has donated more than $2 million to its charitable partners, and its members have donated over 3.5 million pounds of food to food banks nationwide.
“Almost one in four children in America faces hunger and will endure lifelong consequences as a result of having limited access to nutritious foods,” said Billy Shore, Founder and Executive Director of Share Our Strength. “Weight Watchers is an important ally in our fight to make sure no child in America grows up hungry. We’re thankful for their dedication to our mission and the generous support they provide through the Lose For Good campaign.”
Academy Award-winning actress and Grammy Award-winning recording artist Jennifer Hudson is joining the effort and will take part in media appearances, as well as star in a national TV spot that encourages Americans to get healthy and give back. In September, Hudson will visit a New York City school as part of the campaign to help educate families on how to prepare healthy, low cost meals, while spreading the message that increasing access to healthy food is an important step in fighting both hunger and obesity.
“I am so proud to be a part of Lose For Good which encourages people to get healthy, something I’ve learned to do with the help of Weight Watchers, while at the same time giving back to those in need,” explained Hudson. “There are kids in our own country and abroad who are growing up hungry, and as a mom, this breaks my heart. That’s why I’m so happy to be involved in this campaign, where weight loss success can help others – it’s a win for everyone!”
There are many ways to get involved and spread the message of Lose For Good:
- Visit the Lose For Good website.
- Success Walls: Online subscribers and Community users will be encouraged to build “Success Walls” constructed of collected food that represent their weight loss. They can then donate the food on or around October 23 (Donation Day) via an official Weight Watchers Meetup at a food bank or food drive by clicking here.
- Lose For Good Tab on the Weight Watchers Facebook page.
- Action Tuesdays: On six Tuesdays during the campaign, Weight Watchers eTools subscribers and Weight Watchers Online subscribers will be invited to participate in specific tasks, and for each task, Weight Watchers will donate $1 to Share Our Strength and Action Against Hunger (up to $5,000 per Tuesday as part of the larger corporate donation).
- Lose-A-Palooza: A one-day social media event taking place on September 14th that will help further spread the Lose For Good message. Weight Watchers will donate $1 to Share Our Strength and Action Against Hunger for every accepted mention or acknowledgment of “Lose For Good” made on September 14th through blogs, Twitter, Facebook and check-ins via foursquare (up to $60,000 as part of the larger corporate donation).
- Member Local Food Drives: Select Weight Watchers meeting locations will be holding local food drives throughout the duration of the campaign where members can donate food that will be given to local food banks.