By Tim Saunders on
An eclectic gathering of veteran rockers and new artists are featured on a new CD released this month to help fight world hunger and poverty.
The CD, which follows a similar release earlier in 2007, features live, studio, acoustic, and electric performances by some of rock’s biggest selling artists, as well as Grammy winners and critically acclaimed musicians. Hard Rock is well known for its commitment to music, but philanthropy is the company’s soul, and this is witnessed in their involvement in projects such as this.
“We are honored to be partnering once again with Hard Rock and such great musicians for this effort,” said WHY Chief Executive and founder, Bill Ayres. “The generosity and time committed to Serve2 has been tremendous, and we are overwhelmed by the support for the cause.”
WHY was formed in 1975 by Ayres, a radio talk-show host, and singer/songwriter Harry Chapin. Chapin’s daughter, Jen, who features on Serve2, said that her father “saw hunger and poverty as an insult to America”. Many of his concerts were benefit performances for the 82 charities he was known to support, and the sales of all his concert merchandise were donated directly to WHY. At the time of his death in 1981, it was discovered that Chapin had donated almost all of his personal fortune to charity. Today, WHY is an international non-profit organization that connects grass roots charities to funding expertise and publicity.
Serve2 is available both in CD format and digitally, with bonus tracks available on the digital version. The full tracklist includes:
1. Bruce Springsteen – The Ghost of Tom Joad (live in Dublin)
2. KT Tunstall – Heal Over (live at Gaia Music, London)
3. Bob Dylan – The Ballad of Hollis Brown (live at Carnegie Hall, 1963)
4. Joss Stone – Big Ol’ Game
5. Jackson Browne – Casino Nation (live in Melbourne)
6. Citizen Cope feat. Alice Smith – 107 Degrees
7. Brandi Carlile – The Times They Are A-Changing (live in Boston)
8. Marc Broussard – Bring It On Home To Me
9. The Hold Steady – Arms and Hearts
10. OAR – Dareh Meyod (live in Madison Square Garden)
11. Natasha Bedingfield – Lay Down
12. Mat Kearney – Nothing Left To Lose (acoustic version)
13. Ghosts – Stay The Night
14. Andrew WK – This Is My World
Digital bonus tracks include:
1) Toby Lightman – Better (live at Joe’s Pub)
2) Sons of William – Bell Bottom Blues (Eric Clapton cover)
3) Hellogoodbye – Baby It’s Fact (live in New York)
4) Josh Rouse – Start Again
5) Jen Chapin – You Haven’t Done Nothing (Stevie Wonder cover)
6) Eli Cook – Man Child
7) Griffin House – Love To Begin
Also available as part of Hard Rock’s commitment to WHY is a 21st Signature Series T shirt, sweatshirt, and commemorative pin, inspired by Bruce Springsteen, which features a drawing of one of The Boss’ favorite guitars.
The Serve2 CD, the clothing, and the pin are available at Hard Rock stores around the world, as well as at www.hardrock.com and www.worldhungeryear.org. The digital format CD, including the bonus tracks, is also available through these websites, as well as through most major online retail stores. 100% of all proceeds go to WHY.
Copyright © 2007 Look to the Stars