Youth Service America (YSA) and Get Ur Good On have compiled a list of “10 Ways to Get Ur Good On for Back to School” – encouraging youth on how to stay engaged with community service when the summer ends and school starts.
The Back to School list includes ways for young people to make a difference with the cast of Glee, Justin Bieber, First Lady Michelle Obama, and many more. Young people actively engaged in their communities not only learn the importance of giving back, but also life and workforce skills.
- Its time to Get Ur Good On for Back to School! Miley Cyrus and her partners at YSA want to make sure YOU kick-off the school year by making a difference. Read this list of ten ways to Get Ur Good On for Back to School with Glee, Pencils of Promise, Pretty Little Liars, and much more.
- Join the cast of Pretty Little Liars in hosting a school supply drive. Ask friends to buy extra pencils, paper, and pens while supply shopping. Collect items and donate to the Staples for Students drive.
- Harry Potter, The Lying Game, Miles to Go, Matched. Help children in need receive great books by joining a local First Book Advisory Board.
- Love Algebra? Won last year’s spelling bee? Sign up to tutor kids in a lower grade level or at another school.
- The Glee movie opens in August! Read this blog post about how Glee relates to service and join the students of William Mckinley High School in raising awareness about anti-bullying and tolerance.
- Hurricane peaks at the end of August. Crank up a great playlist, get snacks, and gather friends and make disaster preparedness kits. A teenager and former YSA grantee used grant money to start the organization Always Ready Kids; its site provides tips on kit making.
- Build a school in a developing nation with Pencils of Promise; one of Justin Bieber’s favorite organizations! Download an advocacy toolkit and join the movement.
- Miley supports Blessings in a Backpack, a childhood hunger focused organization. Join her in the fight against childhood hunger and plan a service project to address the issue. Apply for a Sodexo Youth Grant by September 16th to fund your project.
- August 12th was International Youth Day. Post status updates on Facebook and tweet about contributions young people have made to change the world. Find ideas on the TEDxYouth YouTube channel!
- The first day of school is like a fashion show, but not all kids can afford new outfits. Host a clothing drive and donate items to a local community or religious center.