Taking place this year from July 13-July 22, over 1,800 miles, and with 8 public celebration stops along the way, the ride is expected to raise $115,000 via events, social media, and the sale of a Limited Edition Active Lifestyle Essentials kit, from which 100% of the proceeds will benefit amfAR.
While this ride is always a remarkable project, there are a number of elements that will make this year all the more poignant:
- The ride takes place in July 2012, which has been established as National HIV Awareness Month (NHAM) to elevate the discourse on the domestic HIV/AIDS epidemic.
- The Kiehl’s LifeRide for amfAR ends in Washington DC on July 21, just before the start of the International AIDS Conference (July 22-27), so riders will be riding into the capital to join the international AIDS community gathered for the conference. This is a monumental occurrence because for the first time in 22 years, the International AIDS Conference is taking place on US soil.
- Amongst the activities taking place in DC during this time is Quilt 2012, the first time the entire AIDS Memorial Quilt will be displayed in its entirety, all 48,000 panels, throughout Washington D.C.
- As part of the ride, Kiehl’s will be bringing with them a panel created for Kiehl’s LifeRide for amfAR, which will be delivered to the quilt, on The Mall. The panel will be on display at each of the ride stops, for guests to sign, to leave their own message on the quilt and be part of the cause.
Chris Salgardo, President, Kiehl’s USA leads the ride with Kevin Robert Frost, CEO of amfAR, and will be joined by notable motorcycle enthusiasts eager to join the fight against HIV/AIDS, including actors John Corbett, Tricia Helfer, Katee Sackhoff, Tyson Beckford, Teddy Sears, Christopher Redman, Marguerite Moreau and Grant Reynolds; photographer Timothy White, custom motorcycle builder Paul Cox, and artist Conrad Leach among others.
The 2012 Kiehl’s LifeRide for amfAR rides with the support of EagleRider Motorcycles, the world’s largest motorcycle rental and travel touring company. EagleRider is providing the motorcycles and equipment, along with a traveling support crew to ensure the safety of all riders.
The following public celebration stops will be made along the ride:
- July 16th: Kiehl’s Lenox Square store, Atlanta, GA – 11am – 1pm
- July 20th: Kiehl’s Georgetown store, Washington, D.C – 6pm – 8pm
- July 21st: Stop 1: EagleRider store, Fall’s Church, VA – 9:30 am-10:30 am
Stop 2: Kiehl’s at Tysons Corner Center, McLean, VA – 11am –12pm
In the spirit of giving, LifeRide stop stores will offer a Celebration Discount of 15% off all purchases at each store, the day of their event and the day after.
For those unable to attend LifeRide events along the route, Kiehl’s will extend the 15% discount at their remaining stores nationwide on July 13th & 14st, and online at Kiehls.com, on July 15th & 16th. Simply enter the code LIFERIDE at checkout.
Along with the riders, the ride will also be joined by honored guests and supporters at each stop along the way:
- Ed Roland, the lead singer of the band Collective Soul, and a Georgia native, will be special host for the celebration event in Atlanta. (July 16th)
- A group of DC’s finest chefs, also motorcycle enthusiasts, will be hosts in Washington DC, and will also provide motorcycle-inspired cuisine for guests: Chef Mike Isabella of Graffiato and Bandolero, Chef RJ Cooper of Rogue 24, Chef Robert Wiedmaier of Marcel’s, Brasserie Beck and Mussel Bar, and Chef David Guss of Bayou Bakery. (July 20th)
- Sharon Stone, amfAR’s Global Fundraising Chairman, will also join riders for the celebration in DC. (July 20th)
All in all, the 2012 Kiehl’s LifeRide for amfAR will raise a total of $115,000 for amfAR.
Kiehl’s will donate a total of $75,000 along the way, over the course of the ride. There will be eight stops to celebrate with the public at Kiehl’s stores and other locations along the route, and In honor of LifeRide, for every customer that visits Kiehl’s free-standing stores on the day the events, Kiehl’s will donate $5 to amfAR, up to the $75,000 total donation.
Kiehl’s customers will also be able to join the fight against HIV/AIDS with the purchase of the Limited Edition Active Lifestyle Essentials Kit, an assortment of skin care products that will help active customers refuel from head to toe, with 100% of Kiehl’s net profits from the sale of this product, up to $25,000, benefiting amfAR.
Finally, a social media campaign will launch during the ride with the aim to donate an additional $15,000 to amfAR. For each new fan of Kiehl’s Facebook page, Kiehl’s will donate $1 to amfAR.