WhyHunger has announced that for the second year in a row, their annual Hungerthon campaign raised $1.1 million for the fight against hunger and poverty in the U.S.
WhyHunger teamed up with its radio partners and celebrity ambassadors for a coordinated month long effort including radio broadcasts, merchandise, social media and an extensive celebrity-driven online auction to raise awareness and critical funds for their work. WhyHunger staff, celebrity ambassadors and community-based partners were also heard participating in over 40 substantive radio interviews and live broadcasts, educating the public on hunger and its intersections.
“We are proud of and thankful for our community of supporters, artists, radio partners – Entercom Radio New York, SiriusXM, Cumulus New York and iHeartMedia – and celebrities who have again come together to raise another $1.1 million for our work to fight hunger and poverty in the U.S.,” said Noreen Springstead, WhyHunger Executive Director. “With impending legislation threatening to cut critical services that families depend on, these funds raised will bolster our work to help more families access healthy, affordable food and advance social justice.”
Thousands of individual donors contributed financially to the campaign. Funds raised through Hungerthon support innovative community-based solutions to hunger across the U.S. to ensure everyone has access to nutritious food and communities are able to build a future free from hunger. From increasing local food access, to supporting sustainable food production and strengthening efforts to organize and advocate, WhyHunger focuses on supporting and connecting grassroots-led efforts for long-term change.
With over 150 auction items and experience packages hosted on charitybuzz.com, this year’s top auction items included:
• Bruce Springsteen Autographed 1952 Fender Telecaster Guitar
• Guest DJ on SiriusXM’s 70s on 7 in New York City with Set of Autographs
• Guest DJ on SiriusXM’s Big 80s on 8 in New York City
• Meet Willie Nelson with 2 Tickets to Willie Nelson & Family New Year’s Show
• Have your Child Co-Host “The Absolutely Mindy Show” at SiriusXM Studio
• Meet Kenny Chesney & Receive 2 Sandbar Tickets to 2018 Tour Stop
• Visit the Set of “The NFL Today” & Meet the Hosts in New York City
• Visit the Osgood File Radio Studio & Have Lunch with Charles Osgood
• 2 Tickets to See Billy Joel Live at MSG, Plus a Signed Guitar
• Acoustic Guitar Signed by James Taylor, Jimmy Buffet and Sarah McLachlan
2017 Hungerthon Ambassadors included Tom Morello, Michael McDonald, Kenny Loggins, Jon Batiste, Southside Johnny, Mark Weiss and KWL Management’s Jojo Brim, all of whom used their public platforms to educate and engage their fans as they help raise awareness and funds for the campaign.
Additionally, WhyHunger’s long-time board member and Grammy-award winning singer/songwriter Tom Chapin and legendary musician Peter Yarrow joined the team at Entercom Radio New York to play and support the live radiothon on Nov 21st.
Special thanks goes to over 100 volunteers who gave their time and talents, our incredible radio partners; SiriusXM Satellite Radio, Entercom Radio New York, Cumulus New York and iHeartMedia, and this year’s corporate sponsors PSS Distribution Services, RLB Wealth Planning and ShopRite Wines & Spirits for their support.